Thursday, August 18, 2011

An(na)Shun!


"So I heard you're in love?" One friend asked me, while I was holding open the pallu of my hypothetical sari, on phone, for him to drop a job into.
Evergreen Hindi Cinema being such a constant source of inspiration in my life, I could hardly resist. "Jab garibi darwaze par dastak deti hai, na? Tab pyaar Khidki se koodkar bahar nikal jaata hai!" I sighed heavily. Not one to be left behind, he shot back " Don't talk to me about garibi! I invented the boodhi maa and vidhwa behen who stitch at home, as I go out to study." I went into peals of laughter.
However, a thought crossed my mind. There is another hard-to-ignore figure starving alongside the boodhi maa and the vidhwa behen. In fact, he could be the saviour of those species in this country. Or so claim the people whose lungs have often threatened to fall out of my television screen in the last few days.
No, I have nothing against him (Apart from the fact that I dare not!). I am aware, in his way, he does more for the country than I do. I know it, as a friend and I sit stirring our coffee and moaning about love, quite oblivious to the candle march right opposite us.
Though, I did notice a candle holding youngster crying out to people to 'honk if you support Anna in his fast', from amidst mouthfuls of chicken frankie. I respect the effort. I bit back an 'Isse kya hoga!' out of sheer respect! After all, we know our nation can change. And its hard to hold a candle in the soon-to-be-September rain!
Scorn me if you dare, for my humour! But this indifference is growing everywhere. It was our reaction to the umpteenth bomb blast in the city. It can be seen meandering through fish markets; where wares are sold and bought despite the black oil meandering through mangroves and the beach. It can be seen gurgling around status updates singing praises of the cholera imparting Mohammed Ali Rd. savouries. Its been submerging the timeless candle marches, fasts and protests of the nation.
Although, I can never deny that Hope did come out of Pandora's box too!
In fact a friend of mine (who I am very proud of by the way) actually calls up to report the service she renders to the nation daily, at grass root level in the villages. And I do hang my head in shame as I feel the cynical indifference silently creeping up on me, and then lament to her about how long I haven't seen the love of my life in! Phew!
Be not discouraged by the likes of me, reformers! May success tire of eluding you people, who have better souls than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment